Secure websites (HTTPS) use digital certificates to establish secure connections via Public Key Infrastructure (PKI). In order for a web browser to properly authenticate the identity of a secure website, it must know to communicate with the Certificate Authority (CA) that issues the site its digital certificate. Most web browsers already have commercial CA certificates associated. However, military hosting utilizes its own CA's.
As DCPAS is subject to the rules set by military hosting, you may need to manually install the DoD CA certificates on your personal or non-DoD computer in order to access our secure website. DoD-issued computers generally have these certificates and are up-to-date.
To download the DoD CA certificates:
1. Please access: http://iase.disa.mil/pki-pke/Pages/tools.aspx
2. Select the heading for “Trust Store.”
3. Under the heading for “InstallRoot 4.1 NIPR Windows Installer,” please select the link for “Non Administrator.”
4. You will be prompted to Open/Run/Save the installation file, “InstallRoot_NonAdmin_4.1.msi.” The need to save is not required, so it is your preference on which
of the available options you choose.
5. Upon opening the InstallRoot_NonAdmin_4.1.msi file, you will be presented with the InstallRoot Setup Wizard. Simply choose "Next" after reading each step of the
6. When prompted to select the features you wish to install, ensure that *at least* the "Graphical Interface" is checked. Afterwards, click on "next" and then "install."
7. After the installation of the tool is complete, click "Run InstallRoot."
8. At this point, you may be prompted to add the certificates to Firefox (if installed on your computer). It is recommended that you select "Yes,".
9. A "Quick Start" screen will appear showing screenshots of the final steps required to complete the installation. Please read the red text within these screenshots
and choose "Next" until you're able to select "Finish."
10. After selecting "Finish," you should be presented with a Microsoft Current User tab and, if you chose to install certificates to Firefox as indicated in step #8, a
Firefox tab should also appear for each Firefox profile on your computer. Please look under each of these tabs and make sure that "Install DoD Certificates" has
a green checkmark. The other certificates (ECA and JITC) are not required.
11. Click on the "Install Certificates" button.
Note: If you experience any difficulty installing these certificates on a work-issued computer, please consult your local IT group and ask them to install the administrator version of InstallRoot that's available for download on the same website identified in step #1.